The exclusive hilltop residential development overlooking Mission Valley and Grantville was conceived by noted San Diego architect Lloyd Ruocco, and first subdivided in 1948. Avion Street is aptly named as it was originally an airstrip thought to be needed for the targeted “professional” residents whom might own private aircraft. Some impressive examples of San Diego’s most notable Modernist residential architecture can be found in Alvarado Estates; including homes designed by Richard Neutra, Henry Hester, and Lloyd Ruocco. Alvarado Estates is the only private, gated community within the College Neighborhoods
COLLEGE VIEW ESTATES
College View Estates is conveniently located near Interstate 8 and adjacent to a trolley stop. It is close to major shopping centers, excellent hospitals, and San Diego State University. College View Estates’ mid-century homes have large custom built homes in addition to a mix of three and four bedroom floor plans. Many of the homes have views of the surrounding canyons or hills.
El Cerrito Facts: The name “El Cerrito” refers to the little hill that rises from 55th Street to 58th Street. This “little hill” was the largest of the rises on the old Cajon Road and first is documented by that name in the late 1800s. Located just west of the Flume Company’s lands, the area saw its first development with large “farm tracts” in the 1890s such as Redlands, Lemon Villa and Waterville. The area’s first formal use of the name comes with the establishment of the El Cerrito Park Water District in 1909. In the 1920s, suburban developers took advantage of the new State, and soon to be U.S. Highway (El Cajon Boulevard), to re-subdivide the old tracts into smaller residential tracts including the community namesake El Cerrito Heights. With the establishment of San Diego State College on Montezuma Mesa in 1931, El Cerrito was the closest residential area to the new campus and grew steadily in the period while other local tracts were hampered by the Depression. El Cerrito had its own Business District Association in the 1930s. After World War II, the remaining areas of the community, especially those areas south of El Cajon Boulevard, were filled in with early “tract homes” such Belleview Heights. The opening of Collwood Boulevard in the 1960s brought the neighborhood some of the earliest “condominium” projects—giving El Cerrito some of the oldest and newest housing stock in the College Neighborhoods. Three of El Cerrito’s distinctive and historic houses are currently listed on the City of San Diego’s List of Historical Properties.
In 1926 a group of Los Angeles real estate men partnered with several locals to form the New University Syndicate, initial developers of Rolando. The name Rolando came from the “rolling land” of the various canyons and mesas of the area. The paving of University Avenue in 1925 helped interest the developers to purchase the land and develop Rolando between two new “highways.” Rolando’s initial sales motto was “City of Rolando: Where You’ll Love to Live.” Having worked on high-end subdivisions in Los Angeles, the developers brought in landscape architect Theodore Meyer to design the development with curving streets, decorative street lights, areas for commercial development (Rolando Boulevard near the Island Park), and distinctive pedestrian walkways connecting streets. The original Rolando is made up of 5 subdivisions, platted and developed with street improvements between 1926 and 1928. Rolando’s rural location hurt sales and by 1930 the tract was in foreclosure to the State for failure to pay Mattoon Act Improvement Bond assessments. In 1939 local real estate men Ben Margolis, Harry Arthur, and Joe Levikow established the new Rolando Village Company and re-opened the area for development. With San Diego entering the Boom triggered by World War II, the area’s empty streets and existing infrastructure helped it quickly fill-in, with many of the popular small, minimal-traditional style homes dating from 1939 to 1941. Home owners would buy a lot from the Village Company and then choose from the recommended list of contractors, or choose their own—helping create the unique mixture of housing styles. After World War II, another 17 small subdivisions, mostly of tract homes, duplexes, and apartments filled in the area west of the original 5 subdivisions up to western boundary College Avenue. Unincorporated Rolando and southern neighbor Rolando Park annexed into the City of San Diego in 1954 and the City School District in 1955. Henry Clay Elementary opened in 1957 and Clay Park in the 1970s. The family focused Rolando Street Fair is held the last Sunday in March annually.
DEL CERRO Del CerroDel Cerro (Spanish for “of the hill”) is a wealthy residential neighborhood of approximately 2,300 residents in the eastern part of San Diego, California. Del Cerro borders the communities of San Carlos, Allied Gardens, College Area, Grantville, and the city of La Mesa, and is adjacent to Lake Murray and San Diego State University.
Tucked away just past Normal Heights, along the hip and fabulous Adams Avenue, Kensington is a quitter, quainter and more luxurious neighborhood, rooted deeply in history. Formed in the early 1900’s, and stocked full of Craftsman and Revival style homes by Richard Requa and Cliff May, and more modern classics such as by Allard Jansen, Jim Brown, and Jim Gates, this 5 block stretch boarders I-15 on one side, I-8 to the north, Fairmount Ave to the east, and El Cajon Blvd to the south. Many street and businesses featured English names, as does the name Kensington itself. The area feels like a well kept small town, and has maintained that feel since it was founded. There are many annual traditions and festivals held by the community and residents alike, such as the Memorial Day Parade, 4th of July Block Party, and street parties held by residents themselves. Casual dining, wine bars, and boutiques line this stretch of Adams Ave, local residents frequent the businesses here, and are happy to call it home.
San Carlos is an upper-middle-class neighborhood in the eastern area of San Diego, California. It borders the neighborhoods of Del Cerro,Tierrasanta, and Allied Gardens, the city of La Mesa, and Mission Trails Regional Park. The “jewel” of San Carlos is Cowles Mountain. San Carlos is geographically defined largely by its proximity to Mission Trails Regional Park and to the man-made reservoir Lake Murray. The area consists primarily of single-family homes.
Talmadge is a neighborhood of the mid-city region of San Diego, California. Its borders are defined by Fairmount Avenue to the West, Montezuma Road/Collwood Boulevard to the Northeast, and El Cajon Boulevard to the South. The architecture in Talmadge is eclectic, with styles including Spanish Revival, California bungalows, Cape Cod cottages and Normandy Style homes. Cliff May, a renowned Southern California architect, designed several homes in Talmadge.